MA in Global Affairs
Thank you for your interest in the Global Affairs graduate program.
As you explore our web pages, you will discover that in addition to the innovative, multidisciplinary curriculum, our program is characterized by a renowned faculty committed to teaching and research, a diverse and accomplished student body and Washington, DC area campuses at the hub of globalization.
Watch our online information session for prospective graduate students!
All applicants for graduate study at George Mason University must meet the admission standards specified in the Admission chapter of the University Catalog.
Applicants to the MA in global affairs must submit
- Completed Application for Graduate Study (online).
- Nonrefundable application fee.
- Virginia In-State Tuition Rates application if claiming entitlement to these rates.
- Unofficial copies of transcript(s) from previous institution(s) attended (uploaded via online application).
- Goals statement (uploaded via online application, please see our application FAQ’s for the content of the goals statement).
- Writing sample (recommended, but not required, please see our application FAQ's for the content of the writing sample).
- Resume or CV (uploaded via online application).
- The names and email addresses (via the online application) of the two individuals familiar with the applicant's qualifications for graduate study who will be submitting the required letters of recommendation. Please follow instructions on the online application for submitting this information.
- Evidence of professional competency in a second language (other than English) that is widely used in contemporary international communication. Evidence of language competency may be demonstrated either through testing by Language Testing International or through other means approved by the Global Affairs graduate program. For additional information about this requirement and how to submit evidence of language competency >>
Applicants with international academic credentials should:
- Review Mason's International Transcript Guidelines to determine exactly which documents you must submit
- Upload the Acknowledgement of International Graduate Transcript Policies form linked in the online application to fulfill the transcript requirement section of the application
NOTE: Applicants may supply an official international transcript evaluation from an independent evaluation agency approved by NACES or AACRAO. The WES-ICAP evaluation service includes verified academic credentials as part of the evaluation package. If you prefer to have Mason evaluate your international transcripts, you should apply 45 days before the posted deadline date.
- Provide proof of English proficiency: either TOEFL, IELTS, or Pearson Test of English. Please refer to the university’s English Proficiency Standards.
- Submit your official transcripts in a sealed envelope directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions either via postal mail or in-person to:
George Mason University
Office of Graduate Admissions
4400 University Drive, MSN 4C8
245 Johnson Center
Fairfax, VA 22030
For questions regarding the application process, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at email@example.com or (703) 993-9700.