Advising FAQs

How Do I?

Declare Global Affairs as my major or declare my concentration?

  • Come to the program office in Mason Hall D215 to fill out paperwork and talk to an advisor if you have questions.

Track my academic progress?

  • Regularly run your Degree Evaluation in Patriot Web 
  • Use the Global Affairs degree worksheet
  • Visit an academic advisor!

Determine my course load each semester?

  • Full-time for undergraduate students is 12 credits per semester. Students planning to graduate in four years need to carry an average of at least 15 credits per semester. 
  • To take more than 18 credits you must submit a credit overload to the Undergraduate Academic Affairs office. Speak with your advisor prior to submitting the form (you will need their signature anyway!). Keep in mind that tuition rates increase over 16 credits.

Which section of English 302 do you recommend?

  • While any section of ENGH 302 will satisfy the University's advanced composition requirement we recommend our students take either the Social Science or Multidisciplinary sections of the course.

Test out of courses?

  • Visit the Departmental Exams section of the Office of Admissions Academic Credit by Exam website for further information. Also see the Admissions site for information about receiving academic credit through exams (AP, IB and other tests). 
  • For information on foreign language waivers, visit the Modern and Classical Languages Department. Proficiency waivers may be obtained for any other heritage language a student may speak.

Know my options if facing academic difficulty?

  • Be knowledgeable about Mason’s academic retention policies. The university’s minimum standard for satisfactory academic achievement is 2.00 on a 4.00 scale. For more details, see the Undergraduate Academic Affairs webpage. 
  • Look into the many academic resources and services available on campus. OR: 
    • Consider a selective withdrawal. Undergraduate students may request a maximum of three selective withdrawals during their entire undergraduate career. 
    • Consider repeating a course. Undergraduate students have the option to repeat courses for a better grade. Note that the most recent grade factors into the GPA, even if the grade is lower.